The Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guild

Website for The Guild on Kithicor Server of Everquest 2

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another day.. another.. nickel?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

Another day.. another.. nickel? Empty
PostSubject: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 pm

So, I am taking a moment to breathe. My day thus far:

9am : Wake up (Yeah I am a lazy ass)
9:30 : After shower, check EQ2 auctions. Chat a few.. head in to the lab

10 am: Pull into Sonic and get my 44 oz iced tea, 2 Corn dogs, and some cheddar peppers (this is my brunch - yeah, I am REAL healthy)

10:15 am: Arrive at lab, bring food and books into office, run into my entire lab in the hall on the way out. They all ignore me, for the most part. Which is fine with me.

10:30 Eat, then head across campus to my lab building. (Office is in different building from my lab)

10:30-11am Start to prepare the reverse transcriptase PCR reaction for 20 samples from my chronically ill shrimp.

Another day.. another.. nickel? Img_0211

Get a phone call in the middle of this asking if I want to run another sequencing plate. I figure what the hell.. I need to dilute the samples and try to get better results anyway for another replicate.. so I say sure, I'll prep a plate "Real Quick".

Granted, it takes an hour to set up a plate:

Basically you make a master mix of some Really Expensive Stuff and add 1 microliter of each sample to a well in a plastic reaction plate.
Another day.. another.. nickel? Img_0212

Another day.. another.. nickel? Img_0213

Then you cook it in the cycler. It takes about 3.5 hrs. So mine will be done at about 6pm. *sigh*

Then I have to do the clean-up steps and load it onto the sequencer. At this rate I should be ready to do this part about 7pm. Might just load it tomorrow at this rate. Or they might entrust me with actually putting the plate in the machine All By Myself and pressing "Start".

So while this is cooking, I will continue with my Chronic RTPCR. Yay.

I'm STILL not writing. Guh. I guess I will write some after I start this on its way to cooking.

I've got 3 balls in the air today. At least it will go fast.
Back to top Go down
Daolong
Postaholic
Postaholic
Daolong

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 am

That seems so very time consuming. I admire your patience and ability to do the work. Hopefully it all works out in the end so your efforts are worthwhile! .... if it doesn't, then at least you know you can put up with mindnumbing tasks over and over for long periods of time. Sounds like you should run for presidency! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 6:46 pm

No kidding.. yeah it takes a certain temperament to do this stuff. We had one high school intern just leave in disgust after the first experiment that took about 4 days of tedious work fail and was told to "do it again".

I'm getting ready to inoculate 75 tubes from bacterial colonies. One thing I learned.. its far easier to see which are blue and which are white after they sit in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

If I get good yields, I think I will incorporate an "Incubate at 4 C for 2 weeks" step in my cloning protocol...
Back to top Go down
Daolong
Postaholic
Postaholic
Daolong

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 2:45 am

Hehe, two weeks? .... at least it gives you time to completely forget about it and be surprised if the results end up being a pleasant surprise.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Gavins

Gavins

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 9:51 am

Still not using Sigma's products huh! We make a well plate for them but it only has 96 holes! lol!
Another day.. another.. nickel? 24qlb3k
Back to top Go down
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Nice marketing Gavins!!!

*Hint* *Hint* Dori Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gavins

Gavins

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:49 am

Hehe, Dorina has the option to buy Sigma products already. I can't say theirs are better then the others though. We just run the tools to make the parts and they sell them.
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Hehe.. do Sigma's plates work in Applied Biosystems DNA Analyzers? I use an ABI 3130. I'm using ABI's MicroAmp plates now, they tout them as specifically made for that damn machine.

I use Bio-Rad plates in the Bio-Rad Icycler for Real Time PCR. If their plates will work I'm all for it Smile
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Actually that plate does look like it might work. Its got the notch in the corner.
Back to top Go down
Gavins

Gavins

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am

Dorina wrote:
Actually that plate does look like it might work. Its got the notch in the corner.

Im not sure what they work in, I know sigma designed their plate to fit in a certain machine. It also only has 96 wells, maybe I miss counted the one you have but thought it had more. *shrug* Its ok better you use something else then Sigmas and finding something wrong with it and bitching at me about it.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another day.. another.. nickel?   Another day.. another.. nickel? Empty

Back to top Go down

Another day.. another.. nickel?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guild :: Insane ramblings of Guild members-
Jump to: