The Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guild

Website for The Guild on Kithicor Server of Everquest 2

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who do you like to read?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

Who do you like to read? Empty
PostSubject: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 2:17 am

I find that not too many people take the time to read nowadays - which I find confusing because I love nothing more than reading a favorite book on a rainy day. Currently I'm reading the new Star Wars series (what a surprise, huh?). And I'm always waiting on a new Drizzt book by Salvatore or the new Stephen King book. I am currently collecting for my personal library - (currently 123 classic hardcover books). My prized possession is a complete collection of all of Edgar Allan Poe's work.

My favorite story is "A Tell Tale Heart", it is what got me into reading.

So, currently I am reading "Fury", book 6 of the Legacy of the Force series. What are you reading?
Back to top Go down
Embla
Postaholic
Postaholic
Embla

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Ok, since I majored in Literature, I had to respond.

My favorite books of all times are: A Tale of Two Cities (They say it's Charles Dickens's worst novel but I love it.), Catch-22 (Joseph Heller), Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut-- To actually like this author you have to like Black Comedy), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley).

There are others I'm sure but those are the first ones that come to mind :O)

Currently, I'm reading Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic. It's really a very informative book. Since I've only been Catholic since Easter, it allows me to see the differences between the religions. Before that, I read Mother Theresa's memoir Smile
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Has too much time on his/her hands
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Ah I read like a fiend -- in and out of work.

My favourite author is David Foster Wallace -- his book "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" is brilliant. It's not for everyone, but I'm in awe of how this man crafts words together.

When I read, I always have three books on the go -- what I call my junkfood read, my classic and my "learn something" read.

At the moment I'm reading: Jasper Fforde's "The Jane Eyre Affair" (book sleuth goes back in time to prevent the villain from changing passages in classic novels and thus ruining the books), Stephen King's "Duma Key" and Eckhart Tolle's "Awakening to your life's inner purpose."

I also have Don Miguel Ruiz's "The Four Agreements" on my bedside table, which I'm chipping away at -- interesting book.
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Embla wrote:

Currently, I'm reading Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic. It's really a very informative book. Since I've only been Catholic since Easter, it allows me to see the differences between the religions. Before that, I read Mother Theresa's memoir Smile

Em if you can offer any good religious books I'd be appreciative ... my mom is big into studying the scriptures and I'm always looking for new books for her.
Back to top Go down
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Jayne wrote:

At the moment I'm reading: Jasper Fforde's "The Jane Eyre Affair" (book sleuth goes back in time to prevent the villain from changing passages in classic novels and thus ruining the books), Stephen King's "Duma Key" and Eckhart Tolle's "Awakening to your life's inner purpose."

How do you like Stephen King's book?
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Just started it so I can't really say atm .. but will let you know Smile
Back to top Go down
Embla
Postaholic
Postaholic
Embla

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Sure...what religion is your mom? Smile
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 pm

She's catholic, but really studies christianity on a more universal level. The one book she loved (and maybe you haven't read it) was
The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Believe by Francis S. Collins. I bought that as a fluke for her and she loved it.
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 6:40 pm

I read a lot of "Journal of Virology", "Virological Methods", Science, Nature, "Diseases of Aquatic Organisms", "RNA", and "Archives of Virology".

I am reading a few James Rollins books now. I could not put "Black Order" down, and "Amazonia" and "Map of Bones" were pretty good.

I grabbed Greg Bear's "Legacy" off the free book table yesterday when I was desperate for some non-science over lunch. Its interesting so far but I'm not that far in.

I'm known for reading 2-3 books at once.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 pm

Oooo Ooo

I love to read!!!

I love to read fantasy, self help, fiction that has some real historic events in it or whatever catches my fancy at the time.

I like to read for fun mostly; call me a kid at heart but I just love reading young adult or teen books.

I am currently rereading Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom; he's not done with the series but pretty close. I read the first 3 a couple of years ago...I hate waiting for authors to finish!! Usually I'll wait til the whole series is done before picking em up.

I do the same thing with TV series...I wait for the whole series to be done and rent it...no commercials and I can watch the whole thing straight away Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like to read?   Who do you like to read? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do you like to read?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guild :: Insane ramblings of Guild members-
Jump to: