The Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guild

Website for The Guild on Kithicor Server of Everquest 2

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My belated xmas gift from the universe!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

My belated xmas gift from the universe! Empty
PostSubject: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Well, the Universe has blessed me with yet another new experience. I have a friend who reads tarot cards who once told me I am an "old soul in search of new experiences". Well, add vesicovaginal fistula to the list.

Its basically a complication of female pelvic surgery (I had the hysterectomy 12/1) or difficult childbirth (its really common and terribly untreated in the developing world.. Sad ) where a path of scar tissue forms a connection between the bladder and the vagina. So, you get to pee from a new hole! While this might be all fun and stuff for waterworks enthusiasts, its not exactly fun during your day job. Or if you don't sleep on polyvinyl sheets.

Went to Dr. here Jan 2, he placed a lovely super fun (for a masochist) foley catheter to dry me out and then I was sent to my surgeon in Mobile yesterday (Jan 6). I got in over there for a cystogram, where they pump dye into your bladder thru your catheter if you have one already or a catheter they put in if they dont. At this point, its no biggie for me to take off my pants in a room ful of strangers while they take photos. I think I see a new career in my future.

The results are in today: Vesicovaginal fistula (tiny) that may heal spontaneously if I leave the catheter in awhile. So I am in this catheter (or its in me) till at LEAST Jan 20. I have a fancy leg bag, and with the help of pain meds, a donut pillow, and lidocaine jelly placed in exactly the location you imagine, I can function at a rudimentary level. No running marathons, but if I sit at my desk without moving long enough I forget its there.

I might need another surgery to repair it, or it may heal on its own.. I am hoping for the latter.

I still don't regret having the hyst, I am in so much less overall pain. This is just an annoying complication. I dont blame my doctor (I think he was nervous about this) and I'm just trying to absorb whatever wisdom this experience has to give me at this point. I did learn a hell of a lot about indwelling catheter care and I ordered some new abdominal 24/7 piss bag thats supposed to alleviate the need to change bags day/night. (Leg bag for day, big bedside collection bag at night).

Oh, and I am eternally thankful that I am NOT male. I hear urethral catheters in men are WAY worse, tho I would love it if my pee hole were conveniently placed where it was away from the poo hole (less infection risk) and where I could sit down without a donut. But I dont want another several inches of urethra nor the pain of erections, so I'll take the donut.

This whole thing has been a real PISSER.
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Has too much time on his/her hands
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Oh dear God Dori, I'm so sorry.

As I was reading your story I was squirming in my seat. You poor kid!

Well gift from the universe or not .. it's been my experience that life eventually evens out -- so that means you'll be due for something spectacular.

I hope everything resolves itself on its own and that nothing more than a month of not being very comfortable is in store.

Feel better kiddo.
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I believe in karma evening out too.. so we shall see. My advisor finally sent my prospectus back and there are only about 5 revisions, all simple like "10" instead of "ten" (I dont agree but meh) and just need to add a few exact questions and how my data will answer them.. he said "Very well written". Smile

So meeting with him soon and also now he seems to see me in a new light, I got an interesting project he wants me to look into. I might end up being sucked into staying there for my phd.

I plan to go back to work/school in the catheter + leg bag/pelvic bag and deal with it the best I can. No one can question my dedication at least now. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 am

Meh like they had a right to question it in the first place .. I'll just send them chat logs from EQ2 guild chat to prove your obsession Smile

I think you should be smart (not that you aren't) about where you do your PhD .. if this guy is suddenly changing his tune, there must be something substantial to your thesis. Which you can use to peddle off to other top name universities ... it couldn't hurt to try sending it off once done anyhow and see what comes back to you. Karma Dor, karma.

As for 10 instead of ten .. it's an AP Style rule .. numbers 1-9 are spelled out (one, two, three, etc), 10 and over are numerical .. with the exception for hundreds, thousands and millions, etc...

I'm very very proud that you got that sucker done .. I kind of feel like me nagging and bugging you played a very very tiny part in completion, so your pride in it is my pride in it too.

Just remember me when you do your acceptance speech for your Nobel. I'm counting on it. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 6:42 pm

I love your attitude Very Happy

I'm sure everything will work out wonderful with the positive outlook you are taking with everything that has happened. I pray that you are healthy soon and are no longer having to deal with piss bags or pain.

Take care of yourself and I'll see ya on the game I love you
Back to top Go down
Jayne
Jayne

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Hey Dor,

Was just thinking of you today and wondering how you're doing. I hope ok.
Back to top Go down
Dorina
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostSubject: Woo   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm good! I had the cath taken out Feb 5 and so far so good.. no leaks, everything seems pretty normal Smile

Very busy lately, I applied to a phd program in Mobile, AL (90 min away, I'd be living on campus during the week and coming home w/e's) so am having to retake the GRE (Feb 27) and tryin to get my thesis first step in by 3/24.. as well as hustle up 2 projects I'd like to get at least started in the publication process by graduation.. hopefully in August. Maybe Dec.

Playing WoW still.. on Khadgar, horde. I'm Rnai. Yeah I'm in a high end raiding guild with RL friends. Of course I can't raid much b/c of latency issues. I'm wondering what raiding would be like in EQ2. Not that I really have much time now. I may patch EQ2 and sneak back on later.
Back to top Go down
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 11:14 pm

I was Khadgar Alliance...good thing I don't play anymore...I would hate gank you Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My belated xmas gift from the universe!   My belated xmas gift from the universe! Empty

Back to top Go down

My belated xmas gift from the universe!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guild :: Insane ramblings of Guild members-
Jump to: