The Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guild

Website for The Guild on Kithicor Server of Everquest 2

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Embla
Postaholic
Postaholic
Embla

2081 Empty
PostSubject: 2081   2081 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:21 pm

I just found this online. Apparently they're making a short science fiction film based on Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron.

http://www.finallyequal.com/

I'm stunned they're doing this. And, actually, incredibly fascinated by the trailer...I love Kurt Vonnegut's writings. I didn't realize that he'd written something like this...which will inevitably make me go out and buy the short story lol Then I'll have to watch the film. I have to see if they've done him justice.

For anyone not familiar with dystopian literature, I've copied a definition of it here:

"A dystopian society is one in which the conditions of life are miserable, characterized by human misery, poverty, oppression, violence, disease, and/or pollution.

Some academic circles distinguish between anti-utopia and dystopia. As in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four,
a dystopia does not pretend to be utopian, while an anti-utopia appears
to be utopian or was intended to be so, but a fatal flaw or other
factor has destroyed or twisted the intended utopian world or concept."
I've been reading these sorts of stories for awhile Smile Just watching this makes me want to go out and buy more books...I'm such a book nerd Razz
Back to top Go down
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

2081 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2081   2081 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Embla wrote:

"A dystopian society is one in which the conditions of life are miserable, characterized by human misery, poverty, oppression, violence, disease, and/or pollution.

Some academic circles distinguish between anti-utopia and dystopia. As in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four,
a dystopia does not pretend to be utopian, while an anti-utopia appears
to be utopian or was intended to be so, but a fatal flaw or other
factor has destroyed or twisted the intended utopian world or concept."

Uh, um scratch ... poopy?
Back to top Go down
Sylvaen
Postaholic
Postaholic
Sylvaen

2081 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2081   2081 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 12:04 am

Seriously, I have not read Kurt Vonnegut yet, although I have a copy of "Sirens of Titan" sitting on my shelf. On of these days I will get to it (I promise).
Back to top Go down
Embla
Postaholic
Postaholic
Embla

2081 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2081   2081 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 11:04 am

Get to reading! (fwap!) Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2081 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2081   2081 Empty